Difference between revisions of "CAN Bus logger"
|Line 16:||Line 16:|
-- Log messages from CAN bus
-- Log messages from CAN bus
Revision as of 15:00, 16 May 2019
The script shown below will output all CAN bus messages received on CAN channel 1 to the RaceCapture/Pro log window.
This is useful for seeing raw data from the CAN bus and can serve as a general diagnostic aid.
Using the CAN Bus logger
- Copy (Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) the script below into the script window of the app
- Note: Ensure any existing script is erased before copying in this logger script.
- Set the correct baud rate in RaceCapture's CAN Settings page
- Typical baud rates are: 250000, 500000 and 1000000
- It's a good idea to also set the same baud rate in the CAN Bus configuration view.
- Click the write configuration button (down arrow button on left) to write the script to RaceCapture/Pro.
- Check the check box to poll the log file. This will cause messages from the script to show up in the bottom window.
- Click the circular-arrow button to re-load the script.
Use the Preset
We recommend using the provided preset for the CAN bus logger - just press Preset below the scripting window.
- Note: You may need to update your presets by pressing the cloud update button.
Copy / Paste script
-- Log messages from CAN bus -- be sure to set the correct baud rate in the CAN settings -------------------------------------------------- -- change this to 0 for CAN bus 1, or 1 for CAN bus 2 canBus = 0 -------------------------------------------------- --this function drains all pending CAN messages --and outputs messages to the log function outputCAN() repeat id, ext, data = rxCAN(canBus, 1000) if id ~= nil then print('[' ..id ..']: ') for i = 1,#data do print(data[i] ..', ') end println('') end until id == nil println('Timeout: no CAN data') end function onTick() outputCAN() end setTickRate(30)
Watching for messages
If RaceCapture/Pro is receiving CAN bus messages, you will see them in the window below the script.
I don't see data
If you don't see the CAN bus messages you were expecting, there could be a number of issues:
- Baud rate is incorrect. Determine the correct baud rate for the BUS and try agian.
- Bus termination is incorrect. RaceCapture/Pro has built in CAN bus termination. Ensure your CAN bus is balanced with terminators on each end.
- Interference / poor wire connection. Try shortening the wire or checking the connections.
- Incorrect Wiring for CAN bus connections. See the Quick Reference for the pinout for the CAN bus connections. Ensure you're connected to the CAN bus used in the script (CAN 1 is the default for the script).
- Reversed CAN High and CAN Low wiring. Re-check the wiring.
Advanced: Using a Terminal Program
To gather large amounts of data, we recommend connecting directly to RaceCapture/Pro's serial console using a terminal program like Hyperterminal, RealTerm, minicom or similar.
- Close the RaceCapture app
- Connect to the RaceCapture device using HyperTerminal, RealTerm or Minicom using the COM port assigned by the operating system.
- Press <Enter> to see a list of commands
- View the log by issuing the command 'viewLog' at the serial console.
- You will see a dump of the CAN bus data to the screen.