How to create / submit a track map
Pick a Track
Pick a track map below that isn't completed.
Open Up a Basic Text Editor
You will need a basic text editor to copy and past information into. Applications like Notepad, Textedit, Gedit all work very well.
Open Up The Drawing Tool
Use this handy Map Drawing tool to create an outline of the race track as well as find GeoPoints. I will assume you are using it throughout the rest of this tutorial.
Record Basic Track Info
We need a few basic things to get going. They are as follows:
- Track Name
- Track Configuration
- Country Track is Located In
- Center area of track (We use this for zooming and display purposes).
- Start/Finish GeoPoint on track.
Add all that information into your text editor.
Draw the Track
Now its time to draw the outline of the track. Clear the tool above using the "Clear Map" button and do the following:
- Find the race track track using the search bar and zoom in on the track.
- Locate the start / finish line and make that your first point by clicking it.
- Follow the contour of the track by clicking around the track, making sure your lines are in the centerline of the track (This is really important).
- If you make a mistake, you can undo points by clicking the "Delete Last Point" button.
When you are finished, copy the text blob from the tool into the text editor. Label the blob as "Outline"
- Zoom all the way in on the map to get the best placement accuracy
- Make more points in curves so it looks smooth.
- Draw the lines using the centerline of the track.
Record Sector Points (Optional)
If you want to go the extra mile and be extra awesome, you can include sector points. These are points that allow us to partition the track into sections so we can get timing info for individual sections of the track. However there is a catch, we can only support up to 20 sector points per track (not including start/finish). To add sector data, do the following:
- Use the same tool. Before you start, clear out any data by selecting the "Clear Map" button.
- Think about how you would logically divide the track in your mind. What corners or sections are most important to you?
- With that in mind, select these points. Don't worry about the shape you draw, we are interested in the points.
- REMEMBER: You can only have up to 20 points. DO NOT include start finish as one of these points.
When you are finished, copy the text blob from the tool into the text editor. Label the blob as "Sectors"
When you've gotten all the data described above, copy and paste all of the text from your text editor into an email and submit it to us. Be sure you included the basic track data! We will review the track data and if sufficient, incorporate it into our Mobile app and online!
Thank you from the Autosport Labs team!
To see a list of track maps we have in our database, visit this page: http://race-capture.com/venues