How to create / submit a track map
Check if the track already exists
Check https://podium.live/venues/ to see if your track is listed. If not, continue below.
Open Up The Drawing Tool
Use the My Maps feature of Google Maps to draw a line around the track map. See the how-to video for a detailed guide.
Record Basic Track Info
We need a few basic things to get going. They are as follows:
- Track Name
- Track Configuration
- Country Track is Located In
- Start/Finish GeoPoint on track (make the first point of your track the start/finish point)
If you've specified the track name and configuration in the My Maps drawing, then this will be contained in the downloaded .kml file.
Draw the Track
- Find the race track track using the search bar and zoom in on the track.
- Locate the start / finish line and make that your first point by clicking it.
- Follow the contour of the track by clicking around the track, making sure your lines are in the centerline of the track (This is really important).
- If you make a mistake, you can edit the points after you are complete.
- Connect the last point to the first point - this will complete the o
When you are finished, download the .kml file and email to [email protected]
- Zoom all the way in on the map to get the best placement accuracy
- Make more points in curves so it looks smooth.
- Draw the lines using the centerline of the track.
Record Sector Points
If you want to go the extra mile, please include sector points. These are points that allow us to partition the track into sections so we can get timing info for individual sections of the track. However there is a catch, we can only support up to 20 sector points per track (not including start/finish). To add sector data, do the following:
- Use the same tool and add a 2nd outline.
- Think about how you would logically divide the track in your mind. What corners or sections are most important to you?
- With that in mind, select these points. Don't worry about the shape you draw, we are interested in the points.
- REMEMBER: You can only have up to 20 points. DO NOT include start finish as one of these points.
When you are finished, copy the text blob from the tool into the text editor. Label the blob as "Sectors"
When you've gotten all the data described above, copy and paste all of the text from your text editor into an email and submit it to us. Be sure you included the basic track data! We will review the track data and if sufficient, incorporate it into our Mobile app and online.
Thank you from the Autosport Labs team!
To see a list of track maps we have in our database, visit this page: http://race-capture.com/venues